Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Das deutsche / the international Kawasaki Estrella BJ250 Forum Kawasaki Estrella Forum www.bj250.de
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 11 Antworten
und wurde 776 mal aufgerufen
 Estrella Maintenance & Technology
axel.johnson Offline

Neuling

13.11.2020 20:46
Question about cruising speed. Antworten

I am still in the process of leaving my estrella in the best possible shape, as soon as I bought it I completely disassembled the tank and the carburetor because the tank had a lot of rust and all that was reaching the carburetor.

The detail is that I never knew the cruising speed of this motorcycle, that is, the maximum speed that it can travel without the engine feeling forced.

Now I have doubts about whether the carburetor is working properly, I easily reach 80 km / h accelerate more than that speed and I feel that the engine is forced and with additional vibration.

Any comments are welcome, regards

Syko Offline

Neuling

13.11.2020 21:21
#2 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

Hi dude. I had the same rust problem with my tank. I had it refurbished. I never stripped the carb though. Just bled some fresh fuel through and put a new inline glass fuel filter in. I now can cruise comfortably at around 50/55 mph and flat out the bike will do 70 mph. Which from experience of the same size engine bikes is about normal. Hope that helps.

Lambrella Offline

Sternchen

13.11.2020 21:42
#3 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

Hello the two of you,
have you counted the teeth of the front chain sprocket?
If you have the original 15 teeth the Estrella will run happily only up to 90km/h, but more is unhealthy for the engine. I first put in 16, now 17 teeth, which allows a little over 100. Now getting started feels a little Hard on the clutch, so I might go back to 16, but never to 15.
All this can be done with the original chain of 102 links.
My bike is in the repair shop now as there is something wrong with the gear change mechanism. I wouldn‘t try that myself.
Have a good ride
Roger

axel.johnson Offline

Neuling

13.11.2020 23:01
#4 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

I'm not really sure how many teeth the pinion has, but I suppose that it is original as I came from Japan, that is why my question goes, If my motorcycle has a carburetion problem or really its cruising speed is 90 km / h, which is where the engine goes without making much effort. I feel like making a lot of effort to make 100, I can't imagine asking for more than 100.
I know that it is not its main function to run this motorcycle, but its speedometer says 140 km / h. Sometimes you need even for short trips to increase your speed.

it's my favorite bike anyway.

Soulie Offline

Der Laminator und Sattel-Max

16.11.2020 11:08
#5 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

The Estrella can reach up to 120 km/h - on the speedometer. That's probably around 110 real speed. All speedometers show more speed than the true speed to keep the customers satisfied.
Unfortunately the Estrella lacks a device that shows the revolutions.
Is the chain in good condition? How much gasolene does she consume? That's an indication, if the engine works properly.
About 3 liters / 100 km is normal, unless you chase her.

www.rennradsattel-sattelmax.de
info@rennradsattel-sattelmax.de

axel.johnson Offline

Neuling

16.11.2020 14:13
#6 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

Good morning, the chain is in good condition and it is also properly tensioned, for the issue of revolutions I bought a device that by induction wraps the sensor cable in the spark plug wire to know the rpms. In addition to that, my motorcycle is far from doing 33.3 km per liter. I have calculated its consumption and it is 21 km per liter. that is precisely why I want to know how to improve consumption maybe I need an adjustment of the carburetor, recently I completely disassembled it to do a deep cleaning.

Soulie Offline

16.11.2020 19:28
#7 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

21 km / liter is much too much!
I've had several Estrellas, and they never consumed more than 3,5 l/100.
Check the carburetor, install another one, if you can get one.
How many kilometers does the display show?
Valves setting O.K.?
Air filter? This stupid oily foam-device.

I love the paper filter of my HONDA.

Good luck!

axel.johnson Offline

Neuling

16.11.2020 19:47
#8 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

If the same I think 21 km / l is too much, the valve setting is correct according to what is recommended, my star has barely 5100 km traveled but it was stopped for a long time, I removed a lot of rust from the carburetor and tank. the air filter you have now is not the right one, I already ordered an original one, now I'm waiting for it to arrive, the carburetor apart from being dirty looks very new, I have a small leak that keeps the diaphragm of the tank tap wet all the time and I also sometimes observe the choke handle wet.

Is there a replacement for the air filter, from another brand or perhaps another size a little larger to cut it to the necessary size?

Angefügte Bilder:
IMG_20201029_215400.jpg  
Soulie Offline

17.11.2020 09:17
#9 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

Yes, there is. It doesn't have to be the original foam pad.
How many kilometers did you ride your star so far?
Perhaps it takes a while, until the engine works normal again.

training wheels Offline

Neuling

21.11.2020 23:26
#10 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

Hi! You mentioned that it was parked for a long time, if this means years it's bad.

Normally, you should be able to reach and maintain a speed of 90-100km/h without the feeling of pushing the engine beyond limits. Also, you should have the 110-130km/h reachable, e.g for overtake. "Normally" means that the bike is in good condition, parts are properly installed and adjusted. Check more closely the next 3, sprockets-chain, valves and carb-mixture-idling. But firstly, I would check if the bike is clogged.

Other than that, do you change the gear in good timing? For example, if you put the 2nd in 10km/h, the 3rd in 25, the 4th in 45, then toping at 80-90km/h sounds logical.

The 5lt consumption is it in heavy traffic conditions or with nervous driving? If not, something's wrong.

Hope it helps.

axel.johnson Offline

Neuling

23.11.2020 17:49
#11 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

Thanks for the answer, regarding the consumption I discovered two things, I have a fuel leak through the diaphragm of the stopcock and I also had the mixing needle at 2.5 turns, in the service manual it says 1.25. fix the leak problem and close the idle screw to 1.5. now I feel that the bike is better.

Now regarding the speed it has a smoothness, I make the changes according to the sound and speed, I do not think I am making the changes wrong, once in fifth gear and accelerating from 80 I start to feel the tank vibrate, If I continue to accelerate, it sure gives more speed, but the vibration makes me think that the engine is already making more effort than normal.

I have checked valves and they are within the parameters, the carburetor is already totally clean and I think it is regulated.

What do you mean that the motorcycle is obstructed?

training wheels Offline

Neuling

23.11.2020 22:55
#12 RE: Question about cruising speed. Antworten

I don't know if clogged is the right term. Well, I mean when you open the throttle with the bike in zero gear and black smoke comes out of the exhaust. But it seems that this is not the case here.

If you are feeling the tank vibrating and only that, check of course if it is fitted okay. Is this happening in the other gears too, like when rpm are high?

Around the same feeling, and a metal sound, could also be an indication for changing the timing chain.

That's all I can think for now. Also, the worst scenario is that despite a loss of oil in the past, the bike was driven for some kms, so it's an engine problem.

Hope whatever it is, it's not a big deal.

«« Keys
Stand sensor »»
 Sprung  
Die deutsche Kawasaki Estrella Website - The international Kawasaki Estrella Website - - Impressum/Datenschutz
Xobor Ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz