Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Das deutsche / the international Kawasaki Estrella BJ250 Forum Kawasaki Estrella Forum www.bj250.de
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 14 Antworten
und wurde 1.779 mal aufgerufen
 Estrella Non-Technical
The French Ant Offline

Neuling

13.09.2006 18:14
U bar - Estrella savety tricks Antworten
Hi,

My first "problem"

When I go "down town" with my Estrella, I like to attach it with a U bar, which I need to bring with me.

For the moment I use a back bag but it is not really useful (The U bar is very heavy, and it is dangerous if I fall dow, even if I hope not).
I would like to find a solution in order to bring the U bar on the Estrella.

Is someone also scared for is Estrella to be stolen, and use a U bar? Or do you use someting else?

If you use a U bar, how do you bring it with you? If you fix it on the Estrella, where?

May be the more useful is to fix it on rear bar ? (that I need to purchase)

Thank you for your comments

the french ant ( Gast )
13.09.2006 18:17
#2 RE: U bar Antworten

This is a "non technical" subject... Sorry.

dergelbeulrich Offline

Amateur

13.09.2006 19:44
#3 RE: U bar Antworten

if you use one of those big u-bars which you have to put into the wheel in order to block the bike (the type which is used a lot with scooters over here), I think it's a real problem. I use one of the smaller locks (also U-shaped) which blocks the brake disk, so nobody can just push my poor bike into the canal. This lock fits in the pocket if needed or you can attach it to the belt on the seat (two-seater Estrella ?).

By the way ... is there a big risk for Estrellas in your down-town??? Over here bicycles, scooters and popular bikes such as BMW are targetted by thieves, and those bikes are normally heavily locked - but nobody cares about an Estrella or my W650. Such a small market, easily traceable - only joyriders might fall for them for the spontaneous midnight ride, but I think they would prefer other bikes.
U.

dergelbeulrich Offline

Amateur

13.09.2006 19:44
#4 RE: U bar Antworten
et pourquoi ce fichu programme persiste-t-il à tout poster deux fois ???!!!

Cadfael Offline

ADMIN

13.09.2006 20:33
#5 RE: U bar Antworten

Hello Frensh Ant,

I did not translate most Estrella tipps into English, but here is the German site about "Estrella protection".

I seldomly - but also - use these small U-bars for the disk brakes. You should buy yellow or organe ones. For a red Estrella the yellow ones might be seen better. These U-bars needn't have a high quality! Ever cheap versions are already save (as far as I have heard). They only cost about 10 Euro (but they are very heavy!).

In Antwort auf:
By the way ... is there a big risk for Estrellas in your down-town???

I don't think the risk is too high. Extrellas are not very expensive, but very rare - especially in France. A stolen Estrella night be easyer to find than most other bikes.

You English is very good! But if you hve any problems in translation, try it in Frensh. I don't understand a word, but did Ulrich already mention that hi wife comes from the Frensh speaking part of Switzerland? (Hope I am right and was allowed to tell here).

I put the thread to another directory and changed the thread name a bit.
No problem!

CU
Andreas

The French Ant Offline

Neuling

15.09.2006 13:54
#6 RE: U bar Antworten

Thanks both of you, dergelbeulrich and Cadfael, for your answers.

dergelbeulrich, you have well understood that I was speaking about the BIG U-bar, also called U lock, used like a chain:

However you are right: may be a disc lock for brake disc is enough… and as you said dergelbeulrich, it is easiest to bring it: may be it is possible under the Estrella seat? (long seat). I will think about that.

Thanks again Cadfael for your suggestion to write in French, but this is not a problem for me to speak English (if you can understand me).
Ella had offered me that also, for subjects which are difficult to translate (Technical ones).

Dirk the duck Offline

Doppelsternchen

15.09.2006 14:54
#7 RE: U bar Antworten

Guess, with a break disk lock you get the best protection.
Never heard about somebody was able to steal a bike with break disk lock, even not in my job.

The price is from 10 € (as Andreas told us) up to open end. A yellow one is great, but better are break disk locks that make a noise, when somebody moves the bike. Then you have an alert to protect from thieves and also a protection against yourself trying to start the ride with the lock and have a bad cropper after a half turn of the wheel.

The French Ant Offline

Neuling

20.09.2006 10:56
#8 RE: U bar Antworten

Thanks The duck for your opinion.

It seems that this is a good idea to use a break disc lock.

It solves my issue about U bar: great !

Ella Offline

Doppelsternchen

20.09.2006 12:16
#9 RE: U bar Antworten
It may sound crazy for you, but I never lock my Estrella when I go downtown Munich.
Italian people told me, this would be the best protection.
Gangs of thieves think, that I’m very closed around and watching the bike. In deed it never has been stolen.
Of course this trick is just good for short time parking in southern regions.
I fear Dirk won’t share this opinion, sorry.

Regards
Ella

Dirk the duck Offline

Doppelsternchen

20.09.2006 13:31
#10 RE: U bar Antworten

In Antwort auf:
I fear Dirk won’t share this opinion, sorry.

I can't say anything against this opinion, because most of the time I do it the same for "short stays". But over a night or longer I do always use a break disk lock.

As German drivers are concerned, it is not interesting, which lock you use, because German insurances only pay for a stolen bike, if the original mounted lock is used, and that's the most easiest to break lock: the steering-column-lock.

I think, that's sad, but it's the truth.

Claire Offline

Amateur

21.09.2006 00:41
#11 RE: U bar Antworten

Thats interesting as my steering lock has never worked on Hubert.

Actually neither has my helmet lock, quite annoying that one. Any suggestions?

Claire

Kiwis can fly!

The French Ant Offline

Neuling

27.09.2006 21:30
#12 RE: U bar Antworten

What? Claire, you wear an helmet ?!

Claire Offline

Amateur

27.09.2006 23:47
#13 RE: U bar Antworten

Yes, but only when it is raining
Kiwis can fly!

The French Ant Offline

Neuling

03.10.2006 22:27
#14 RE: U bar Antworten

@Dirk

In France, more often insurances pay for a stolen bike only if it is locked with an agreed U-bar (agreement by insurances)... You should give a proof of the purchase with the bill.

However, day after day I understand that there is not really an interest to stole an Estrella.

The french ant

calfungiation Offline

Neuling

31.10.2006 17:24
#15 RE: U bar Antworten

In Hong Kong, we can't even get the insurance covered for stolen or crashed bike. There's no such cover coz the risk of a stolen bike is too high here.

Whenever I park my bike on the street, I lock the rear wheel with a U bar and cover it. When I'm riding I put the cover and U-bar on the rear seat, fixed with the bungee...

The XENA disc lock is a very good anti-theft device I think, it costs about $500EUR here...

But it seems that Estrella is not a very popular THEFT item, the Honda CB400 got stolen almost everyday here...

Sprung  
Die deutsche Kawasaki Estrella Website - The international Kawasaki Estrella Website - - Impressum/Datenschutz
Xobor Ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz