Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Das deutsche / the international Kawasaki Estrella BJ250 Forum Kawasaki Estrella Forum www.bj250.de
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 10 Antworten
und wurde 879 mal aufgerufen
 Estrella Technik
ppont Offline

Amateur

13.08.2012 14:07
Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not posting in German, I can read it quite good, but writing is a different story

I quite recently received an Estrella A3, but having some trouble getting it working again.

The bike was stalled for 5 years, so I did some usual maintenace things

1. Replaced Battery
2. Replaced oil and filter
3. New spark plug
4. Replaced the gaskets in the leaking fuel tap
5. Cleaned out the carburator (as fuel was going straight through the carburator when putting it on pri)
6. Replaced the old gas that was still in the tank
7. Added a fuel filter

After this the bike still will not start, put fuel on PRI even and choke on, still will not start completely

1. We checked the battery, and charged it to have enough juice for testing
2. Checked the spark plug, it producers sparks
3. Checked the fuel supply to the carburator, it is getting fuel, even tried om PRI.
4. Checked via the fuel release on the carburator, fuel is getting in the carburator
5. Checked via spark plug opening, fuel seems to get sprayed in the cylinder.

We sometimes can get it to a point when it almost seems to want to start, when playing with the throttle a bit, but never goes into full running mode.

Anyone got any clue what else I can check. Seems like there is not enough fuel going from carburator to engine ?

The bike was still working fine when it was stalled, thanks.

Cadfael Offline

ADMIN

13.08.2012 17:42
#2 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi ppont,

Other know much more than me!

Is the valve setting correct?
Here a pdf file: http://www.bj250.de/html/t05.html
and on the page is also a link to Jan Veldas tutorial (with a pdf version at the end!)

Also look for these screws at the carburretor: http://www.bj250.de/html/t13.html

Best regards
Andreas

ppont Offline

Amateur

14.08.2012 09:22
#3 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi Cadfael,

I'll have a look at this, and maybe ask someone to help with checking the valve setting as I am not that comfortable in doing that myself.

Would be really strange that the valve settings changed just by standing there ?

I'll keep you updated on the reanimation progress.

Thx

ppont Offline

Amateur

19.08.2012 21:46
#4 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi again,

I have followed the instructions and set the valves, but still unable to start.

Also tested with the screws on the carburetor, but no luck.

When I spray something flammable in the air intake it immediately starts and runs for 30 seconds until the stuff has worn out.

So I suspect the fuel is not getting sprayed into the carburetor, but I don't know why ? It is getting from the tank to the carburetor, I tested that before.

Only thing I can think of is to try is to clean the carburetor again, do you know of anything else I can check while cleaning it ?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

At least I am getting to know my bike inside and out

Kind Regards

Patrick

" Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. "

HamburgerJung Offline

Neuling

11.09.2012 19:06
#5 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hello!

Did you checked if the carburator was fitted correct?
If not, it could be the reason:
When the carburator injection system doesn't work, maybe the engine can not start.

Did you checked the spark plug after your "reanimaton tests"?
Was it wet or dry?

It also can be an eletrical problem.
Maybe you have to try a push start... (not a Joke)

I keep my fingers crossed for your Estrella

Regards

HamburgerJung

ppont Offline

Amateur

18.09.2012 11:28
#6 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi All,

Finally got it started yesterday. Got some help from a work colleague who restores bikes in his spare time, and who did a very thorough cleaning of my carburator (ultrasonic bath,etc....).

However now I have a new problem. It runs fine in stationary, but when I throttle it it stalls. Same if I pull out the choke (can only start without it).

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause that issue ?

Here a video when it just got started :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjwgMyA0keo&feature=plcp

Kind Regards

Patrick

" Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. "

Scharlachdorn Offline

Racetrellist

18.09.2012 12:42
#7 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi,

has the carb been ultrasonic cleaned?

I had similar problems with a BJ250 I bought, which likewise hadn't been used for many years. The previous owner didn't remove the fuel from the carb following his last ride. It had enough time to rot closing the tiny jets - in particular the idle jet system.

After putting the carb it into an ultrasonic cleaner and blowing through all jet with pressurised air it worked. It also worked perfectly with another carb (from another Estrella) I put on for testing purpose at the time. The Keihin CVK 34 is pretty sensitive.

Regards

ppont Offline

Amateur

18.09.2012 12:49
#8 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Indeed, the carb has been ultrasonic cleaned, but smaller jet still needed further manaual cleaning afterwards. I am already glad that it is showing signs of life at least. Just need to get the stalling problem solved, as it would be difficult to drive without using the throttle

Kind Regards

Patrick

Cadfael Offline

ADMIN

18.09.2012 14:04
#9 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi Patrick,

did you try the screws (A) und (B) I linked in post #2?

The small screw should be about 1,5 turns out, the big srew so that it doesn't run too high.
Maybe you make 1/4 turn more or less and try to setup the rest with the big screw ...

Best regards
Andreas

ppont Offline

Amateur

22.10.2012 15:14
#10 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

Hi All,

I am glad to inform you that my Estrella is finally running. After cleaning the carburator again, and the help of a friendly mechanic to adjust the carburator, all is running again.
I should have taken a photo of the black cloud that it spit out after it finally came alive. It was quite spectacular.

I might need to make some finetuning again after it has had some more mileage, but it first needs to be driven to get all the dirt out of the engine.

Now I just need to replace the front tire (it is getting quite bald and does not hold pressure very well), replace my brake pads, and fix the oil leak at my gear lever(together with my friendly mechanic), and I can finally get it on the streets :-)

I also found out that it had been standing still for 10 years iso 5 like I thought, which explains all the issues I am having

I will keep you informed and post some photos once I am completely done.

Thanks for all the support so far.

Kind Regards

Patrick

ppont Offline

Amateur

22.10.2012 15:18
#11 RE: Unable to start my Estrella Antworten

If anyone has any extra tips to get the oil leak at my gear lever fixed, they are most welcome :-)

Kind Regards

Patrick

Sprung  
Die deutsche Kawasaki Estrella Website - The international Kawasaki Estrella Website - - Impressum/Datenschutz
Xobor Ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz